Tossing and turning, creative unrest. . .

‘the simple adventures of everyday life’ is a collection of creative thoughts and ideas that have kept me up at night. Included, are Original Hand-Made Wedding Invitations, cards, photographs, poetry and short stories.

My Dad was an extremely creative man, an artist, who lost many a nights sleep because of planning and building in his head….I’ve found that I’m exactly the same way. On many occasions, as I tried in vain to fall asleep, I had to get up and write down an idea…or perhaps a line of poetry, that if I indeed eventually would drift off, I was sure to forget by morning.

I have always loved weddings! My obsession has taken me to some wonderful collections (vintage wedding photos & wedding cake toppers, and maybe a few vintage wedding gowns....but that's another story). . .and recently, to designing custom wedding invitations under the name 'CaroleKancarDesignStudio'.





23 February, 2010

the Broadway Market. . .





Eastertime is filled with wonderful sites, sounds, and most of all smells. Nowhere is that more true than at the Broadway Market, an Old World, European style marketplace that caters to all ethnic backgrounds. It has changed drastically over the years, and was at one time, a daily shopping place for the local eastside neighborhood and other areas of Buffalo, New York.

I'm of Polish ancestry, and all of the food items that we put into our baskets, to be blessed for the Easter breakfast (Swieconka), are available here.

During the weeks preceding Easter, the Broadway Market becomes alive again, a bustling place filled with holiday shoppers that long for those memories of when they were young, and for those that have been coming here for so many years, it's a part of who they are. For children that are brought to the Market by their parents or grandparents, it's a place that they can talk to the Easter Bunny,buy some chocolate candy,and soak up all of the beautiful, ethnic and cultural elements that will bring memories for them in years to come. For the rest of us, it takes us back to our childhood...remembering all those sites, sounds, and smells, that are tucked away in a happy place.

2 comments:

eric kancar said...

hi mom
love the story...i could smell the broadway market coming off the page as i read it! did you ever get the picasa thing straightened out?
love
eric

Anonymous said...

Hi Mom,
Great photos.... Love the eggs! So colorful! I can go for some pierogis and hard boiled eggs with horseradish. Can't wait to see this year's batch of Broadway Market photos.
love,
Todd